Saturday, October 8, 2011

Coffee Sand

This next week, my preschool class will be exploring taste, touch, and smell. I came across an awesome recipe that I had to try out for the class. My 4 year old son seems to enjoy it, so I'm hoping that the 2 and 3 year olds do as well!

Here's what you'll need:

4 cups of used coffee grounds
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt

First thing, stop by your local Starbucks coffee shop and see if they have any used coffee grounds. I went into my local Starbucks and walked out with a trash bag FULL of used coffee grounds....for FREE!!!! I actually have more than I need. If you run into this problem, place any extra grounds in your flower pots or your garden.















Okay, so now bake the coffee grounds in the oven on low heat (about 200-250 degrees) for 45 minutes. Spread the grounds out on baking sheets to allow them to evenly dry out.















Once those are finished, mix the remaining ingredients into a big bowl with the coffee grounds.
















And.....that is it! Simple, easy, and inexpensive! Let the exploring begin.

The coffee sand will last a few weeks if kept in an air tight container between playtimes!

No comments: