Monday, March 11, 2013

Memories and Love

Tomorrow marks the day that my best friend passed away two years ago.  Two years later and I can still feel the shock, the loss of words, and the denial that took over every ounce of my body when I heard the news. 

Yes, it has become easier to live each day, the tears stopped falling every day except for when certain songs, like Kenny Chesney's "You Had Me From Hello" that we sang karaoke to, or Lee Brice's "I Drive Your Truck" comes on the radio.  Your memories bring more smiles than tears to my days.  Your name still comes up in daily talk with the kids, I am determined to have Cooper know how great of a man you were, how much you cared about those around you, and how much you loved every part of life. 

I've found myself wanting to call you more and more lately for advice, laughs, or to gripe about relationships.  You were the only one I could be completely open with and know that you would still love me despite whatever I said.  We never had to worry about if our advice would hurt each others feelings because honestly, even in our fights, our love and friendship were still strong.  

I'm sure you would be proud of the strength I have regained throughout the past 2 years.  Your words of encouragement and strength are still in my memory.  I remember your hugs, the safety and comfort that flowed through your arms.  I miss your hugs.  There is no one else that will probably ever be able to call me "sweetheart" again.  "Nickle" or "Nick" are completely off limits as you are the only person that I've every allowed to call me those nicknames, or nicknames in general. 

Even though it has become easier to live each day again, I know that I will never forget you.  You are mentioned to anyone that becomes an important part of my life.  Your memory and legacy will live on. 

As Cooper was asking questions the other day about Heaven and who we will see, he asked about you.  It brought comfort back in a moment of sadness, knowing that one day I will see you again.  One day I will be able to hug you again and hear those special words "Hello Sweetheart"

I Love You dearly Cody Burns! 

No comments: