Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Irony of it All!

Life, people, and events never seem to amaze me. I actually love those moments that make me stop and wonder....REALLY?


So, a few weeks ago, we were at Home Depot and there was a drawing that you could enter to win a FREE front loader washer and dryer set. They were NICE! Of course we entered to win....who wouldn't? Now, fast forward to this past week. Randell's phone rang and I answered it (he was putting Aubrey to sleep). On the other line was a person contracted with Home Depot wanting to inform me that we had not yet won the washer and dryer (Then don't call me!....that was my thought) BUT we had won a $20 gift card. We just had to do ONE little thing to get it.....

We had to have some company (Sweetwater, I think?) come do a water test to see if we have hard water (Hello, we live in San Antonio...it's like a ROCK!). Randell decided that it sounded like a grand idea to make $20!

So, the lady arrives on Saturday morning around 11. We were told this should only take 30 minutes (yeah right!). Randell was watching the tests, which I have to admit were very interesting, and was handling most of the "appointment". So, about half way through this thing though, the sales pitch REALLY starts to shine! Using terms like "Wouldn't it be so nice to drink water straight from the tap?" or "You could save so much money with not having to buy so much soap." and so on. At that point, I totally let Randell take over. I just couldn't handle looking at this lady, who probably only works off of commission, telling her that we only said yes so that we could have the gift card.

Randell, being very nice, allows her to tell him all of the packages and prices for this system. He obviously nicely declines making a purchase and she in on her way and we have a gift card (1 hr later). Once she left, I asked Randell how much something like that would cost. I was SHOCKED and boy do I mean SHOCKED when I learned that that kind of system is at LEAST $7000. Don't get me wrong it's neat, but $7000! Woah...I can not justify that kind of spending.

So, where is the irony in all of this? Well, think about this. This company (Rainsoft/Sweetwater/something like that) is using a drawing for a washer and dryer (FREE mind you) to try to attract new customers. So, they are trying to sell a $7000 product to people who want things for FREE....hello, of COURSE we don't have the money to spend on your product!

Life is Great and God is Good!

No comments: