Thursday, January 19, 2012

Shake My Head Moment (1 of Many!)


The moment that you unlock the front door, turn the handle, and NOTHING happens.....that was my afternoon. And by "nothing happens", I mean that the door did not open, budge, or anything. The handle turned, but the door remained in it's locked, not opening position.

So....without further adieu, here is the non-edited, long version that is proof of being labeled a Shake My Head (SMH) moment.

The kids and I left the house to walk across the street to our friend's house. I locked the bottom lock and set the alarm. (I know, crazy right, but I would be MAD if the house was broken into without me knowing about it.....keep this in mind as you continue reading.)

So, we play and enjoy our time across the street. I hear my dogs barking in the backyard a few times, but don't really pay much attention to it. The kids were ready to go play in the front and ride their bikes/scooters. I head over to the house to open the garage (by way of going through the front door, into the house, and then opening the garage door). I unlock the bottom lock and disarm the alarm (key chain button). I then turn the handle and go to open the door.....now for the simple fact that I have NEVER had an issue with thinking the door wouldn't open, I of course put my weight into opening the door and walk in to make this all one movement. BUT, instead I just went right into the door....because the door DIDN'T BUDGE! I was a bit confused, why would the door not open?

So I check the other dead bolt, just in case I had locked it without even thinking about it. Nope, not locked....but the door still won't open. My mind raced to this...."the top dead bolt is locked (can only be locked from the inside) and the only way it would be locked is if someone was in the house."

Now as a side note, I'm sure some might be putting pieces of information together. Such as, the alarm was set, so if someone broke in then the alarm would have gone off right? I couldn't agree more, EXCEPT that I had left the windows open that face the backyard, where the dogs where barking earlier. SO, if they went in through the window, there would have been no broken glass which means the alarm would not have been set off. (Lesson here, I will ALWAYS close and lock all windows before leaving the house from now on!)

Okay so here I stand knowing that the top dead bolt must be locked, the windows in the back were open, and the dogs had been barking earlier. Of course, because I am invincible, I walk around to the backyard (oh yeah, the kids are still with my neighbor) prepared to confront whomever is in my house....seriously, why am I so confident in myself sometimes? I look at the screens and can't remember if that one little corner was a bit bowed out when I opened the window. So since I can't remember, then someone MUST have taken it off, then put it back on. I look into the house and see that nothing looks touched or moved, so where does my mind go???? Yes, to the thought that they are waiting for me to come into the house....(pausing my thoughts for a moment to ensure you that I DO NOT watch scary movies, I can't stand them....never have been able to because I already have an AMAZING imagination to work with, and this is the proof!)

I come back around to the front yard to decide what to do next. While all of this is going on, the teenager from the house across the street, is out front. Call it bad timing or me being paranoid (okay both), but as I mention to my neighbor that I am going to call the police, he gets on his phone.....to call the person in my house, I'm sure! (insert eyeroll to myself) So, I call the police and Randell and then wait for both to arrive. I am watching the house like a hawk, I reset the alarm just in case whoever was in my house tried to leave, the alarm would sound.

All the while, I had the entire story plotted out in my head, that whoever was in the house had gone in through the back window, locked the inside dead bolt so they could buy some time, then once they realized that the alarm was set, they knew they couldn't leave through the doors because then it would go off, and that meant they couldn't take anything, then they heard me unlock the door and were trapped! To add to this, the teenager keeps watching me....probably thinking that I'm a crazy person who just can't open the darn door.

Just as in any wonderful town, the police come speeding to the house, sirens on, ready to fight crime....yeah right, not in my city! So, 30 minutes pass (yes, I said 30 minutes!) and Randell gets to the house to help check it out. He reminds me that he put in a new dead bolt a few weeks back and it probably just wiggled a bit and locked it in that manner....because that would be the logical way to think, right? I'm still convinced of my storyline in my head, but let him go see if he can jiggle the door open.

What do you know, the door opens after a few wiggles and jiggles. By the way, the teenager at this point is laughing on the inside but politely smiles on the outside as I look over. In an attempt to avoid pure embarrassment, I call the police back to cancel the call, but of course, they can't cancel calls of this nature....SMH!

There we all are, kids playing in the street, talking a bit with neighbors as the police car finally pulls up. I tell him my storyline that I had come up with....just kidding, I told him what must have happened with the dead bolt and how I apparently am not as strong as I lead on to believe because I could not wiggle and jiggle the door open (I left that part out, but that's what I was thinking on the inside). I was waiting for the "jerkish" type of cop to be annoyed with even having to respond to this call, when he smiled and then asked the kids if they had ever seen inside a police car. The boys LOVED looking inside, turning on the lights, hearing the siren, and seeing the flares.

So, the moral of the story....make up a crazy story in your head that there's a crazy person in your house, waiting for you, then call the cops and your kiddos will get to check out a police car and think it's the coolest thing ever! But beware, you'll have another SMH moment to add to the books!

The End!!!!

No comments: